So you want to be a candidate? Thanks for being a hero in the fight for freedom!
Requirements for 2019 General Election:
- You must be a current member of the Libertarian Party of Canada and approved as a candidate by our Political Action team.
- You must be a Canadian citizen.
- You must be at least 18 years old on election day.
- You must file a Nomination Paper (EC 20010) with the returning officer for the electoral district (riding) where you intend to run, along with all other documents required by the nomination process (including at least 100 signatures from people living in the riding)
- You will need an Official Agent.
Refer to the Elections Canada Tools for Candidates for additional information.
NOTE: The previous requirement of a $1000 deposit no longer applies. Auditors are no longer required unless these criteria apply:
- you accept contributions of $10,000 or more
- you incur electoral campaign expenses of $10,000 or more
- you receive 10% or more of the valid votes cast in the electoral district
We also recommend you check with your employer regarding their policies on volunteer and political activity. Some, like the Public Service, will require you to take a leave of absence without pay during the entire writ period, which is usually over a month long. Plan ahead and ask early for permission, if required.